Monday, February 4, 2013

Let the Training Begin!



Since my 30 Day Challenge is almost complete, (yeah!) I decided to start my official half marathon training program today. I planned on starting the 12 week training next week, but I felt ready this morning. Also, with so many illnesses going around, I figured I better allow myself an extra week, just in case. I love Hal Higdon's marathon training plans, so I decided to follow the Novice 1 plan this time around. My body has definitely changed a lot after having two babies. I am a very competitive person, and have extremely high goals for myself when it comes to working out and staying in shape. However, I have slowly been learning that I have to give myself a break and lower my expectations just a bit. The first time I trained for a half marathon, I only had one baby, and she was 15 months when I began training. It was also the summer and fall when I was doing my runs, 95% of them which were outdoors. Flash forward to today, I have a toddler and a newborn, plus we are in the middle of the dead of winter here in Chicago. As I've said before, planning your workouts around an exclusively breast-fed baby, and only being able to run right after a feeding,  plus keeping in mind the schedule of my other daughter, is quite exhausting. I'm not using these things as excuses, but it's reality.  I get so frustrated, but then I take a deep breath and remember that things are a lot different this time around. (and i wouldn't change it for the world!)  

Honestly, it was so cold and yucky out today after our big snow, that I really just wanted to lay at home in PJs all day. Instead, I got all three of us ready and we hit the gym. We have been home bound the past two weeks, all battling colds, but today we finally were all 100%! I dropped Sonoma off at the daycare and Cora and I ran and did a little strength with the double jogging stroller.  Let the fun begin!

My little nugget all ready for a workout with her Momma





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: